If you're a tech-savvy scrapbooker looking for a way to create innovative layouts for your albums, you may find yourself wondering how to design digital scrapbook kits.
What Software Should I Use?
Although you can use almost any graphics program to design digital scrapbook kits, Adobe Photoshop remains the preferred choice of the majority of digital scrapbookers. This sophisticated image editor is considered to be "an industry standard for graphics professionals." It has steep learning curve, but can be used to create an almost endless number of effects on your layouts.
Adobe Photoshop Elements offers many of the same features as the full version of Photoshop, but at a substantially lower price. If you're on a tight budget, or simply not sure if digital scrapbooking is right for you, this program is an excellent choice for designing your own kits.
How to Design Digital Scrapbook Kits
A digital scrapbook kit typically consists of graphics files that replicate the look of traditional scrapbook cardstock, patterned paper, and embellishments. Some kits also have pre-designed templates that beginning scrapbookers can use to quickly create their own projects.
Digital scrapbook designers use a variety of techniques to create their kits. For example:
- Layers: Layers allow you to add multiple patterned papers to a digital scrapbooking page.
- Shadows: Drop shadows add the appearance of dimension to various elements on a page.
- Textures: Using texture filters on a layout is an easy way to replicate the appearance of textured cardstock.
- Bevels and Embossing: Bevels and embossing filters lend a sophisticated and elegant look to digital layouts.
- Photographic Effects: Using black and white, sepia tone, or spot colored embellishments adds pizazz to any layout.
If you're interested in learning more about how to design digital scrapbook kits, check out the following helpful resources:
- Digital Scrapbook Place has a number of Photoshop and Photoshop Elements tutorials that can show you how to replicate your favorite traditional scrapbooking techniques in a digital kit.
- Cottage Arts has an assortment of basic digital scrapbooking tutorials with detailed illustrations and step-by-step instructions.
- Scrapbook Bytes has digital design tutorials for scrapbookers.
Although learning how to design digital scrapbook kits is fun and enjoyable, it's important to be aware of copyright considerations. For a crash course in copyright law as it applies to digital scrapbookers, visit the following links:
Selling Your Kits
If you enjoy digital design, you'll be pleased to learn that it's easier than ever to get a home job doing digital scrapbooking.Selling your digital kits to other scrapbookers via your own website is a great way to earn some extra cash. Since a digital kit can be sold an unlimited number of times, this is a relatively simple business idea. However, it's best to be advised that you will need to devote a fair amount of time to publicizing your designs on scrapbooking websites and forums.