If you're looking for an affordable yet versatile way to embellish your layouts, consider creating a scrapbook with ribbon.
Buying Scrapbook Ribbon
Factors to consider when choosing ribbon for your scrapbook include:
- Size: Do you want a thin ribbon or ribbon with a wider width?
- Color: Are you looking for a ribbon in subtle neutral tones or would you prefer boldly colored ribbon that makes a strong statement on your layout?
- Style: Do you want plain ribbon, striped ribbon with two or more coordinating colors, or ribbon that features a decorative print?
- Fabric: Are you looking a simple grosgrain ribbon or would you prefer fancy ribbon with a metallic sheen?
You can purchase scrapbook ribbon where scrapbook supplies are sold. Most ribbon is sold by the roll or in a package of coordinating colors, although some specialty stores may offer ribbon by the yard. Some of the more popular brands of ribbon for scrapbooking include:
Scrapbook with Ribbon Ideas
In scrapbooking, ribbon is amazingly versatile. Although this embellishment is often associated with wedding, baby, or heritage pages, ribbon works well in layouts with school, pet, or travel themes too. Depending on the type of ribbon you choose, you can even create pages with a distinctly masculine feel.Scrapbook with ribbon ideas include:
- Tie it to a journaling tag
- Tie it to the bottom of a photo mat
- Make a bow
- Make a knot
- Thread beads or charms along the length of the ribbon
- Use it as a simple page border
- Fold thick ribbon diagonally to make your own photo corners
- Place a decorative brad in the center of small ribbon strips to make a faux flower embellishment
- Use small strips of ribbon to cover chipboard shapes
- Use ribbon scraps and rhinestones to create candles on a birthday cake die cut
Scrapbook Embellish Ribbon
If you're having trouble finding ribbon that fits your needs, consider creating your own embellished ribbon. For example:
- Use inks and chalks to change the color of plain white ribbon
- Stamp a decorative border onto the ribbon
- Use letter stamps to add small bits of journaling to your ribbon strips
- Set eyelets throughout the length of the ribbon to create a funky trim for your layout
Adhering Ribbon to Your Page
If you normally use a glue stick or photo corners to adhere elements to your layout, you may be wondering how to attach ribbon to your page. Fortunately, scrapbookers have a number of adhesive options for projects that include ribbon accents. For example:
- Staples from an ordinary office stapler
- Decorative staple bars from the EK Success Fastenater
- Embellished stick pins
- Thin glue dots
- Double sided tape
- Adhesive from a Xyron machine
Organizing Your Ribbon
To keep your ribbon neatly organized and free of tangles, you'll need to pick a smart storage solution. Although the best way to organize your ribbon will depend on the size of your collection and your own crafting style, here are some options to consider:
- Wrap small strips of ribbon around wooden clothespins and store in a large decorative glass jar
- Slide rolls of ribbon on an old paper towel holder for a simple storage solution
- Make a homemade ribbon organizer from an old shoebox
- Place a tension rod, a tool normally used for hanging curtains, in a window or doorway for an effective way to organize several spools of ribbon
- Buy a stackable gift wrap accessory organizer to use for your collection of scrapbook ribbon