Digital memory books are becoming increasingly popular options for busy scrapbookers.
The Appeal of Digital Memory Books
While it's unlikely that digital layouts will ever completely replace traditionally created scrapbook albums, the approach does offer a number of advantages. For example:
- Digital memory books don't have the bulk of traditionally created scrapbook albums. You can use faux buttons, ribbons, and metal charms on your pages, but the book will still be completely flat when closed.
- One of the first rules of scrapbooking is that you should never do anything that might damage irreplaceable photos. For a heritage scrapbook, scanning old prints and newspaper clippings to make digital pages is the most archival safe option.
- If you're working on memory books for each of your children, a digital scrapbook makes it easier to personalize the project according to each child's preferences. Simply change the text as needed, add or delete pages, and throw in a personalized dedication page to create a unique keepsake for each child.
- If your project is something of interest to several people, such as family history album or a recipe scrapbook, a digitally created book makes it easy for everyone to order their own copy.
Options for Creating Digital Scrapbook Albums
Some of the many online options for creating digital memory books include:
- Shutterfly is a great choice for quick and easy photo books. They also have themes featuring popular Disney characters, which makes them a wonderful option for scrapbooking children's memory books.
- Vistaprint has custom photo books with seven different sizes and layouts. You can also design them online or offline at your own pace.
- Snapfish helps you create everything from a 2x3 mini book to a 12x12 digital album. Custom cover options are available to make your book even more unique.
- Picaboo's custom photo covers and unique "story flow" interface make it easy to create a special photo book on this Web site.
- Winkflash may not have as many photo book size and template options as its competitors, but they're known as a very budget-friendly company for frugal digital scrapbookers.
- ArtsCow is a good option for the prolific digital scrapbooker since it frequently offers promotional specials and has a number of photo gift items available. However, since your order is shipped from Hong Kong, it's a good idea to order well in advance if you're planning to use your photo book as a special handmade gift. Also, shipping is quite a bit more than other sites because of the distance your product must travel.
Tips for Making Memory Books
As you're creating your digital memory books, here are few tips you may want to keep in mind:
- Create a file on your hard drive featuring the photos and journaling you want to use before you begin your project. This advance planning will make it easier to quickly create your book.
- Make sure your photos are a high enough resolution to print correctly at the desired size. Printing a book with 8x10 photos requires higher resolution than a book with tiny 2x2 photos in a collage.
- Save your work often, especially if you have a slow Internet connection.
- Proofread carefully before placing your order. You don't want any typos on your final project!
- Check sites like Retail Me Not for coupon codes that can save you money on your purchase.