A school scrapbook album makes a lovely keepsake for any child. In many cases, the years a child spends in school are among the most important of her life.
Gathering Photos and Memorabilia
Obviously, it's much easier to make a scrapbook of your child's school memories if she is just starting preschool or kindergarten. However, you can still create a meaningful album even if your son or daughter is about to graduate from high school. All it takes is a little extra organization!
Deciding what to include in your child's scrapbook will depend upon her interests and feelings about school. For example:
- First day of school candid photos
- Yearly school portraits
- Formal class photos
- Snapshots from assemblies, concerts, and other special events
- Classroom photos (Send disposable camera to school with child or ask teacher for any pictures she has for your scrapbook)
- Report cards
- Tests, projects, and homework assignments
- Certificates, awards, and ribbons from school-related activities
- Bumper stickers, buttons, or other items printed with the school's name and mascot
Quiz Your Kids
When scrapbooking school memories for your child, it's important to ask her for input! Consider including answers to the following questions in your layouts:
- What do you like the most about your school? Why?
- What is your favorite subject? Why?
- What is your least favorite subject? Why?
- Who is your favorite teacher? Why?
- Who are some of your best friends in school? What do you and your friends like to do together?
- What do you want to do when you graduate from high school?
If you ask your child the same questions on a yearly basis, you'll have an interesting way to document her growth through elementary, junior high, and high school. For a creative twist to your layouts, ask your child to print or write the answers to your questions so you'll have handwriting samples from every year of her academic career.
Add a Sentimental Touch
Although your child's scrapbook should focus on her school experience, it's perfectly acceptable to include a few sentimental words from you as well. Use the following questions to help organize your thoughts:
- How did you feel on your child's first day of school?
- In your opinion, what is the most important thing your child has learned during her academic career?
- How has your son's or daughter's school experience been different from your own?
- What do you think the future holds for your child after she graduates from high school?
School Scrapbook Quotes
Quotes about school, teachers, and the value of education make an excellent addition to any album. Print them out in a decorative font and accent with school-themed clip art to create fun and inexpensive page embellishments.
Supplies for School Scrapbook Albums
When scrapbooking your child's school memories, you may choose to purchase a kit of school-themed papers and embellishments. Having coordinating supplies at your fingertips makes it easy to quickly create a finished school scrapbook album. Consider the following options:
If you're looking for free printable scrapbook supplies, check out these links:
A Lifetime Memento
While this type of scrapbook project will take some thought and time, your child will appreciate the care you took to make her scrapbook documenting her school years. It will be something she can cherish for the rest of her life. You may be so impressed with your work that you want to have a copy for yourself. Once your scrapbook is finished, consider taking it to a local print shop and have copies of the pages made or you may prefer to make copies using your scanner and save a digital copy for yourself.