If you're in search of time saving scrapbook layout tips, you've come to the right place. At LoveToKnow Scrapbooking, we understand it can be difficult to squeeze in time for your favorite hobby between work, family, and other personal obligations.
Essential Time Saving Scrapbook Layout Tips
To save time when scrapbooking, you must take a three-part approach.
- Avoid unrealistic expectations.
- Plan ahead.
- Choose your supplies carefully.
Avoid Unrealistic Expectations
- When you're searching for time saving scrapbook layout tips, it's important to be realistic. Don't pressure yourself to make pages that incorporate all the fancy techniques from your favorite scrapbooking magazines. Keep it simple and you'll reduce your stress level!
- Remember that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. If you see a page you like, don't be afraid to incorporate elements of the design into your own project. Check out our General Scrapbooking Projects, Baby and Children Scrapbooking Projects, and Holiday Scrapbooking Projects galleries for ideas to help you get started.
- If you're not comfortable with scraplifting, consider using sketches such as those from PageMaps by Becky Fleck as the basis for designing your layout.
- Have your photos developed with white borders to provide the look of photo mats without the extra work.
- Use party invitations as embellishments for birthday and other event-type layouts. Since the invitation includes the date, time, location, and guest of honor, you won't need to cover many other details in your journaling.
- Keep a small notebook in your purse so you can jot down journaling ideas as you're taking photos or whenever you have a spare minute during the day.
- If possible, arrange your scrapbooking work area so you have a small spot to leave out your pages in progress. Instead of trying to find a free hour to complete a page, you'll be able to work in short increments throughout the day.
- Build time into your scrapbooking schedule to clean up after each project. A messy work area makes you less efficient.
Choose Your Supplies Carefully
- Make tool purchases a priority in your scrapbooking budget. Working with a poor-quality paper trimmer, dull scissors, or a punch that doesn't seem to cut correctly is a huge waste of your time.
- Scrapbook using page kits purchased from your local craft store. When everything is already coordinated, you won't need to waste time trying to decide what matches.
- Take advantage of timesaving products like self-adhesive chipboard and cardstock cut to common photo matting sizes.
- If you struggle to match your supplies to the colors in your photos, try converting your images to black and white. It looks sophisticated and you'll be able to use whatever colors you want to create your layout!
- When in doubt, choose a monochromatic color scheme. Using various shades of the same color on your page is so easy, it's impossible to make a mistake with this time saving scrapbook layout tip.
Another Great Way to Save Time: Go Digital!
Even though digital scrapbooking looks complicated, it's usually quicker to create digital layouts than it is to design a page using traditional paper scrapbooking supplies. Since there's no cutting, gluing, and messy clean up, you can spend more time working on the fun part of designing your layout. If you're really pressed for time, there are also several designers offering kits that allow you to simply drag and drop your photos into templates that have room for journaling.Still love the textural appeal of your patterned paper, cardstock, brads, and ribbons? Instead of designing a 100% digital layout, try hybrid scrapbooking that incorporates both traditional paper scrapbooking supplies and digital elements such as photo collages or decorative journaling blocks that use free scrapbook clip art and unique font choices.