If you're considering making a blank book as a gift or simply for your own enjoyment, use these scrapbook ideas for journal covers to give the book a little extra personal style.
Basic Scrapbook Ideas for Journal Covers
If there's anything that comes naturally to scrapbookers, it's writing in a journal. Personal recollections and impressions of events are an important part of creating a truly meaningful scrapbook album and really honing these skills involves keeping a journal. Of course, you can't just pour your heart out in any blank book. The experience is far more fun in a journal with personal flair and scrappy style.
Like most scrapbooking enthusiasts, you probably have a few favorite papers in your stash. It seems like a shame to use these in a layout you might only see occasionally. Instead, show them off the way they deserve by making them the cover of your journal. Then use some of your favorite scrapbooking techniques to embellish the journal.
Things You'll Need
- Blank composition notebook
- Two sheets of patterned scrapbook paper
- One sheet of plain paper in a coordinating color
- Craft glue
- Ruler or tape measure
- Favorite scrapbooking embellishments
- Clear contact paper, if desired
What to Do
- Begin by measuring the cover of your blank book. Record these measurements on a scrap sheet of paper. It is always best to error on the side of more vs. less; you can always trim off excess paper later in the project.
- Cut the two patterned sheets of paper to the dimensions you recorded.
- Apply craft glue to the cover of the notebook and gently press the scrapbook paper onto the cover. Use even pressure, smoothing out any bubbles in the surface. Allow both sides of the cover to dry overnight.
- Cut the sheet of plain scrapbook paper to the width you desire for the book's spine. You might consider using decorative scrapbooking scissors to give it a little extra beauty.
- Use craft glue to apply the plain paper to the spine, overlapping the raw edges of the patterned paper covers. Allow the spine to dry thoroughly.
- Trim off any excess paper on the edges. Use one of the ideas below to embellish your journal. When you're done, consider covering the book in clear contact paper to give it added protection.
Now that you have your paper-covered blank book, it's time to make it fancy and fun. Try some of these embellishment ideas:
- Make a title for your journal using rub-off letters or rubber stamps. You might consider framing the title with coordinating papers. Don't forget to include a title on the spine as well.
- Apply some of your favorite photos to make a collage. Trim photos in unusual shapes and layer them to create an exciting design.
- Use distressing techniques like sanding to give the edges of your notebook a worn appearance. Also consider distressing the edges of die cuts and affixing them to the cover.
- Make a collage from clip art images you find inspiring. These might include beautiful flowers, beach objects, or other themed designs.
- Design a trip journal; decorate the exterior of your notebook with images of your destination.
These scrapbook ideas for journal covers might inspire you to create some beautiful blank books for yourself and for friends and family members. Have fun and let your creativity run wild!